Monday 27 December 2010

Getting Near Water Tip #2

I was reading a book recently called Write It Down Make It Happen by Henriette Anne Klauser. In the book Klauser recommends that in order to push start your goals in life you should first write them down. Her theory is that by writing them down you are activating the reticular activating system, which in a sense saves the written down goal and remembers it.

As a vow to start seeing the optimistic side of life (naturally I'm a realist) I decided to purchase the book and to begin to write down my aspirations. One of them, as I'm sure you know is to become an author. Not unpublished or agent less but a published, successful author. So I wrote this down in my journal (Klauser recommends that you dedicate a notebook to writing thoughts, feelings and what not).

A chapter that really stood out to me what called Getting Near Water. Klauser described that sometimes we can find it hard to grasp the right words or to know which goals we really wish to obtain. Apparently water can be an instant cure for this indecisiveness. Running water is supposed to help make creativity flow. It has something to do with too many positive ions (or something sciencey) being transmitted in the atmosphere. Water is able counterbalance.

I'm not sure but I think there might be some truth to this. I remember when I was younger I went through seasons when I couldn't write anything or at least anything I felt meant something or was special. However when it rained I knew I needed to grab my pen and paper and pour out my thoughts. Whenever it rained my mother would always ask me if I had a good writing session. After reading this chapter I thought I'd try it out again. Living in England I can often expect rain however ironically the day I wanted to try it out the sun was shining... Figures. Well, I thought, she did say running water so I hopped in the shower. I started thinking about my novel I'm writing at the moment. I was trying to contemplate why exactly a certain line of events took place. I knew the events but hadn't logically worked out why they occurred. The brainstorm was actually extremely helpful and I had heaps to write after.

So maybe there is some truth to it? Try getting down to the local lake or get close the rain (if you live in England shouldn't be too difficult...) or hop in the shower. Test it see if it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment